Thursday, September 4, 2008

The moment you have all been waiting for....

Konichiwa minnasan!

Ima, nihon ni sundeimasu. Nihongo ga kakimasu, daijobu?

Just kidding. That is about all I know anyway!

So, yes, it has been awhile. How funny (not really) that in such a technologically savvy country, I can't get Internet for 6 WEEKS! How does this happen? They are wired underground in the trains, they have toilets that are heated, play the lovely sound of running water (for inspiration, I suppose??), flush automatically when it deems you finished, and probably serve you coffee if you pressed the correct button, but I can't get Internet for 6 weeks. Ah, the irony of it all...
Anyway, now I am fully connected, and do I have stories for you.

Japan is a cool country. Aside from all the strangeness, it is a beautiful, friendly, overly helpful country. It is almost too nice. Nobody yells, there are no fights on the trains, no obscenities being yelled randomly, it is so weird! What kind of society is this? No inappropriate outbursts, public urination, or shirtless, homeless men scratching their hairy backs with their spoons (before dipping it back into their ice cream)! I am not in NYC anymore, ToTo-san...

So, because it has been so long, I think I have to condense my blog with a list of the top 6 coolest things about Fukuoka thus far...

6. My washing machine that acts as my washing machine, my counter, my cutting board, my cabinet, my table, and my ironing board. Very convenient!

5. The cross walks play Nintendo-like music when the walk signal goes on. You are immediately brought back to the days of Super Mario Brothers and killer mushrooms.

4. The toilet seats are heated, cushy, and play the sound of softly running water as soon as you sit on them. Very inspiring.

3. The silver bugs that resemble a slinky that run across my apartment accordion style, greeting me as I walk in the door. I keep taking them outside, but they keep coming back in. Most likely they are life-threatening, but until I suffer from an inexplicable rash and can't feel my legs, I have dubbed them Bear and Morris II.

2. Everything in Japan is mini and packaged beautifully except one thing. The bread is HUGE. I think it could house a small population in the middle of the ocean complete with palm trees and bungalows. When I eat my delicious cheese sandwiches, my hands look dwarf-like. Bizarre!

1. The number one coolest thing in Fukuoka: the homeless guy living in a 2-story cardboard box, who also happened to take his shoes off before he went inside. His apartment was not only bigger than mine, but I think he even had nicer shoes! You have to see it to believe it. (But, he doesn't have a multi-purpose washing machine, so there!-actually, he probably does...grrr)

I know. You are all looking at Expedia right now trying to find the next flight out, but hold your horses. All in good time, my friends.

Since I have been here I have been tutored in the arts of Kyudo (Japanese archery), worn a Yukata (summer kimono) all throughout the city (and no, this is not normal for foreigners-hence the multiple stares and looks of bewilderment), found a yoga instructor, secured private Japanese lessons, painted pottery, visited two islands, played soccer with non-English speaking Japanese men (we lost), soaked in an onsen (Japanese mineral bath), learned how to pray Shintou style, and found time to go to work. What a whirlwind!

All will be explained in due time.

I miss you all terribly and hope everyone is doing well and on their way to Barnes and Noble to pick up Lost Planets' "Fukuoka on a shoe string".

Love,
Andrea

3 comments:

Nick Mullan said...

Super Mario Brothers? I can beat that game in under 8 minutes. No joke!

lls2011 said...

Sounds like you're having an awesome experience...I'm jealous:)

Shark said...

Holy crap, you are making memories, sister! I love reading these blogs, so keep posting